New legislation requires all homeowners receiving a Basic STAR exemption to register with the New York State Tax Department in order to receive the exemption in 2014 and subsequent years.
- Homeowners will not have to register in order to receive their 2013 STAR exemptions.
- Homeowners will not have to re-register every year. Based on the information provided in the registration process, the Tax Department will monitor homeowners' eligibility in future years.
How to register
You can register for the STAR exemption online. You'll need to:
- provide a STAR code (we're mailing codes to all Basic STAR recipients; or you can use the STAR code lookup)
- provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
You can also register by calling (518) 457-2036
- Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Registration started on August 19, 2013 and will continue through December 31, 2013.
Senior citizens receiving the Enhanced STAR exemption are not affected by the new registration requirement. Seniors must, however, continue to:
- apply annually, or
- participate in the Income Verification Program
For more information
- Call (518) 457-2036
- Penalties related to the STAR Program
- Eligibility for the STAR Program
- STAR Privacy Notification
- STAR Registration Media Center
- Follow us on Twitter for real-time STAR Registration updates #STAR_Reg
Providing an Exceptional Level of Professional Real Estate Services to Buyers and Sellers. Ask me about my Full Service Marketing for as low as 2% Commission
Call today for a FREE Market Analysis and Consultation!
Yes, your home will be listed on the MLS
Geri DeRosa Ertle, Licensed Associate Broker
Charles Rutenberg Realty
Local office: 16 Poet Lane, Setauket, NY 11733
Corporate Office: 255 Executive Drive, ST.-104,Plainview,NY firstname.lastname@example.org (631) 379-8157
· Member of the New York State Association of Realtors (NYSAR)
· Member of the Long Island Board of Realtors (LIBOR)
· Member of the National Association of Realtors (NAR)
· Member of MLS