The Smithtown Landing United Methodist Church will host its annual Christmas Service at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15. The church, located on the corner of Landing Avenue and Oakside Road, is only open twice a year to the public.
The small, white church has a nearly 200-year history in the Smithtown community and surrounding areas.
According to William S. Pelletreau’s A History of Long Island, the religious society was incorporated in April of 1834 under the name of “The Methodist Episcopal Church and Congregation of Smithtown Landing” and was part of the Smithtown Methodist circuit. In July of that same year, Adam Darling donated a half acre of land for the construction of a church building.
The first evidence of the structure was September 17, 1834, according to . A receipt for $100 was signed by Charles W. Darling to Elias Smith, and the church was built by Smith on the property donated by Adam Darling.
Weekly services ended in 1957. The church is now only open twice a early, usually once in early September and once for the holidays.