Graduation for both Smithtown High School East and High School West is set for Thursday at 5 p.m., but graduates this year will have a far different experience than those of last year – the 2011 graduation ceremony was in overcast conditions, while noaa.gov has the forecast for Thursday as sunny, with a high near 96. To stay cool here are five graduation essentials.
1. Water – No matter what you're wearing under that cap and gown, you're still in long sleeves in the scorching heat, so it's important to stay hydrated. And you'll be sitting in that heat for more than an hour so the more hydrated you are the better.
2. Sunscreen – The cap and gown doesn't leave much to get burnt but you don't want to start your summer with a lobster-red face. Make sure to keep all uncovered skin covered with sunscreen.
3. Sunglasses – Beat the sun getting in your eyes and look cool for your photo getting your diploma? Can't beat that.
4. Personal fan – Those battery operated pocket fans do more than they look like they could do. Pick one up at a local grocery store or pharmacy before heading to your last walk as a high school student and use it while waiting in your seat to walk.
5. A cooler of cold drinks waiting in the car – Yes, you'll be waiting in your seats to walk and get that diploma, but how about the impromptu celebration in the parking lot with friends and family after? Keep some cold drinks in a cooler and toast to a high school career that just came to a close.