The Smithtown Board of Education held a summer session on July 27. Take a look at what you missed.
- The Issue: New York State is no longer providing a grant for this.
- The Resolution: The district did not budget for it and funding will have to come from the state or by other means than the school district.
High School Electives:
- The Issue: The Board policy states that classes with low enrollment (defined by less than 20 students) will be canceled. The Superintendent's office stated most cancellations were not so cut and dry, that equipment limitations and the fact that once canceled these enrolled students will be looking for other courses, must be accounted for.
- The Resolution: Computer Science I, Computer II, Advanced Music Theory and AP Music Theory II will be dropped in High School East. One section of Interior Decor Sewing will be dropped in High School West. In both high schools they reduced Fundamentals of Acting from a one year course to a half-year course and combined Advanced Acting I and Advanced Acting II into one half-year course.
- The Issue: The district took on a few different summer renovation projects. Status Checks-
- High School West: Fuel tank replacement - completed. Chiller and kitchen hood replacement- underway and will be completed before the school year begins.
- High School East: Flooring replacement - will be completed before the school year begins. Window replacement project - will extend into the fall and winter. Athletic Field Construction - underway with a Oct. 1 expected date of completion.
- Great Hollow Middle School: New cafeteria floor - completed. Kitchen floor - will be finished before the school year begins.
- Accompsett, Tackan, Branch Brook Elementary Schools: Library expansion projects - underway and set to be completed by start of the school year.
- Tackan Elementary: New roadway and playground project - not yet been started and the project is undergoing rebidding
- Mills Pond Elementary: Window and floor replacement - underway and set to be completed before the school year begins.
(additional information provided by Facilities Office)
Athletic Trainer Compensation:
- The Issue: The board needed to renew the trainer contracts, which kept salary from last year. Discussion from the audience and board centered on if the last year's new salary number was in line with other districts.
- The Resolution: The board approved the contract renewal of the two trainers at last year's salary.
Topics to Watch for: teacher contract negotiations, TAS (Transportation Analysis System) acquisition, facility progress