Labor Day marked the last day of the 2013 summer season for the Town of Smithtown's Landing Avenue pools. The pools are closed to all residents for cleanup, upkeep and repair until next summer.
The area beaches are quick to follow as state, county and town parks make the transition to off season. Lifeguards are leaving their stands as residents swim at their own risk. The campgrounds are closing and summer visitor fees are lifted.
If you're looking to get out and enjoy the beach one last time this summer, check our guide below:
Sunken Meadow State Park
- Swimming: Life guards are on duty 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily until Sept. 8. Swimming is also open from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. on Sept. 14 and 15.
- Biking: Bike riding on the board walk is allowed on weekdays until Sept. 14.
- Fees: After Sept. 14, the parks switches to off-peak season. The entrance fee per car is reduced to $8, on weekends and holidays.
- Fees: As of Labor Day, entrance to the park is free.
- Row boats: Boat rentals are closed as of Labor Day.
- Camping: Peak-season camping closes as of Oct. 8. Off-season camping reservations can be made for Nov. 1 - March 31, 2014.
Including Brady Park, Callahans Beach, Long Beach, Short Beach and Schubert's Beach
- Camping: Camping is closed as of Labor day at Callahans Beach, ends on Sept. 16 at Short Beach.
- Picnic Permits: Permits for group picnics will be granted to Town of Smithtown residents until Sept. 30.
- Park hours are from dawn to dusk, or roughly 7 p.m.
- Reminder, Town of Smithtown parks are for residents' use only.